The simple fact that the following list exists is scary enough, but the fact that the death total is higher than shark attacks is just mind blowing. Thankfully the death tole is still not as high as cow related deaths at 22 because everyone knows that cows are the real killer of the sea.
- A 21-year-old South African woman died after falling from Northcliff Hill, Johannesburg as a male companion was setting up a tripod for a selfie. Reports vary as to the identity of the companion.
- Two young men died in the Ural mountains as they pulled the pin from a hand grenade to take a selfie, which remained as evidence of the circumstances of their deaths.
- Three Indian students aged 20 to 22 died trying to take a “daredevil selfie” close to an oncoming train.
- An 18-year-old Romanian teenager died when she attempted to take the “ultimate selfie”, posing with a friend on top of a train in the north-eastern Romanian city of Iași when her leg touched a live wire above, sending an electrical surge of up to 27,000 volts through her body. A 17-year-old friend who accompanied her was hospitalised.
- A teenager climbed on a railway bridge in the Ryazan region in Russia to take a selfie and died when he came in contact with live wires.
- A 21-year-old Russian woman asked a security guard at her office to give her a 9-millimeter rubber-bullet pistol for taking a selfie and accidentally shot herself in the head sustaining heavy injuries.
- A 21-year-old man from Yogyakarta, Indonesia fell into the crater of Mount Merapi and died while attempting to take a selfie.
- A Singaporean tourist died after falling into the sea while taking a selfie on a cliff in Nusa Lembongan, an island off the coast of Bali, Indonesia
- A 21-year-old Russian university graduate died after falling from a bridge while she was trying to take a memorable selfie next to Moscow City financial district.
- A man from San Diego, California, was hospitalised for five days following an attempt to take a selfie with a rattlesnake.
- A man died in the annual bull running festival in the town of Villaseca de la Sagra trying to take selfie with the animals.
A 19-year-old from Houston, Texas died after trying to take an Instagram selfie while holding a loaded gun to his head. He accidentally fired the gun and shot himself in the throat.
A Japanese tourist fell down a staircase to his death while taking a selfie at the Taj Mahal.